<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Jill's Place
7 days worth of rants & raves

Monday, June 07, 2004
I have a new favorite quote, from Maya Angelou: If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain. As most of you know, I don't like my work situation for a variety of reasons. It has its benefits, definitely. Working at home is one of them, without any eyes peering over my shoulder. I'm able to function fairly autonomously, and working at home actually has allowed me to work more effectively. Sure, I goof around a little bit (posting here during the day, for example), but I get a lot done. However, I have strong negative feelings about EKU, and I am very much underutilized currently. I'm almost entirely out of the loop in terms of changes occurring in the office. Plus the concept of having to commute to Richmond twice a week is annoying as hell. I still haven't complied with that; my boss will be getting on me soon. So to follow my new favorite quote, I'm trying to change it. I'm not having much luck changing my attitude, although I can hide it because it's necessary to do that. My interview Friday went really well, I think. It's kind of hard for me to tell, because I haven't interviewed in many, many years. I was nervous. It started out poorly from my pov, because the first question I was asked was something like: "In your opinion, what are the most critical issues in the area of school safety?" Hell, I don't know. I basically said that classroom management and a structure to support troubled kids could go a long way toward preventing problems from escalating. And that I have a lot to learn about school safety. I told them that I could have crammed for this interview and tried to fake knowledge about the subject, but that's not my style. I said that I didn't know very much about school safety, but looked forward to learning about it. They actually liked my answer, I think. See, it was hard too, because out of the three people on the interview team, I knew two of them pretty well. One could be my new boss, and the other one I knew because I replaced her when I came to EKU 6 1/2 years ago, she trained me, and we've worked together occasionally since then. The other lady was from the Department of Education. But knowing the interviewers makes it tougher, in a way - it all felt a little formal and stilted, not how I'd normally talk to them. But we were all being professional. So the interview is going along, I'm getting my feet under me, and then I get a tough question. One of the interviewers said: "I'm going to ask you a question that we took out of our list, but I would like to hear your answer. How would you define a crisis?" I thought about it for a second, and literally thought: "What the hell, I'll tell them my real opinion." Here's the thing, and this was basically my answer: Having been a social worker, dealing with life and death issues on a daily basis . . . it changes your worldview in some permanent ways. A crisis is a child who's being hurt, or is hurting others. A crisis is life and death, it's real. Paperwork is not a crisis. Behind the scenes work is not a crisis, although it is critically important and has to be done well. Hard work and planning can help prevent a crisis, but it could never be a crisis in and of itself. In terms of school safety, a school shooting is a crisis, and little else would qualify. I guess they liked my answer. This was about 2/3 of the way through their list of questions, and all three of them immediately put down their folders and note paper. The lady from the Department of Ed actually said "That was the perfect answer. I don't need to ask any more questions." Of course, with me being a smart ass and all, I said "Oh, good. My next answer might be awful, let's stop here." When we all stopped laughing, I said I was only kidding, and would be happy to discuss any further questions they had, blah blah blah. But no, they really were done. I asked them a couple of good questions, and we were done. The next step is that there will be a second round of interviews with two head honchos on June 14th, and the decision will be made that day. The position starts July 1, which doesn't leave too much time to give notice. Keep your fingers crossed that I'm one of the top 2 candidates. I think, at least. I'm being a bit contrary, I know, because I desperately want a new job. But this position has more travel than I realized. I tried to get some clarification on that from Kerri, but it still wasn't clear to me how much travel is involved. I don't want to get into a situation where I'm away from home too much. Some travel is ok, but not constantly being on the road, not with Lauren. So if I get a call that I'm getting a second interview, I'll talk to Kerri about that further before I commit to an interview. I don't want to waste their time, and I'm trying to figure out in my mind how much travel is too much. It's hard to quantify, but I think I'll know it when I see it. The rest of the weekend was a blur of playing, and we spent the day at the lake yesterday, had a blast. Hope you all have a good day.
6/07/2004 09:06:00 AM :: ::
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home

Jill :: permalink