<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Jill's Place
7 days worth of rants & raves

Back in the day

Thursday, October 28, 2004
Way back when, during my days as a social worker, I grew to appreciate hip-hop. At first, I didn't much care for it, but it's practically all my kids wanted to listen to, so I got in the habit. I've kind of gotten out of that habit in recent years, but then again I don't listen to much music at all. Some jazz, some blues, some classical, some indie-folk. Depends on my mood. I think that listening to hip-hop takes me back, and not in a good way. Some of my kids were so desperately needy, for safety, for affection, for caring, for honesty. It makes me sad to think about it. I haven't ever listened to Eminem. If I thought anything about him, it was just scattered impressions from his bad p.r. My immediate thought about him would be that he's a misogynistic, violent little punk. His new video gives me a different impression. I still won't listen to much hip-hop, because of my own memories, but this is a powerful statement. Apparently it's #1 on MTV, so it's getting a lot of play. Here's the video, Mosh, in RealPlayer format. Huh, I didn't even know that MTV played videos anymore . . . Here are the lyrics.
Let the president answer a higher anarchy Strap him with an Ak-47, let him go, fight his own war Let him impress daddy that way No more blood for oil, we got our own battles to fight on our own soil No more psychological warfare, to trick us to thinking that we ain't loyal If we don't serve our own country, we're patronizing a hero Look in his eyes its all lies

10/28/2004 08:56:00 AM :: ::
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home

Jill :: permalink