<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Jill's Place
7 days worth of rants & raves

Go read

Wednesday, October 27, 2004
The Pink Bunny of Battle Here's a taste:
These days, it seems, I cannot close my eyes without remembering a 1964 news broadcast that I watched with my parents. It's showing a film from Birmingham, Alabama. The police unleashed dogs on the peaceful protesters. My mother, a Southerner, knew what those dogs meant. She wept quietly. That newscast changed my life. I knew then that if the rights of African-Americans cannot be protected in this country, then the rights of all the rest of us mean nothing.
For myself, I would also include the rights of gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgendered Americans. A society should be judged by how it treats its minorities. We ain't doing so hot so far, but I have hope for the future.

10/27/2004 09:41:00 AM :: ::
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home

Jill :: permalink