<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Jill's Place
7 days worth of rants & raves

Quote of the day

Monday, March 07, 2005
A good friend of mine sent me this in an e-mail today. He and I see things the same way politically, except that since he's gay, he perhaps feels certain things a bit differently. But I really liked this, and I thought I'd share. Before you ask, I have no idea who this quote is from; maybe I should, but I don't. I'm presuming it's someone active in GLBT civil rights work.
Ebbin likes to recite a quote that appears on the walls of the Jefferson Memorial in Washington, D.C. It reads, in part: "I am not an advocate for frequent changes in laws and constitutions, but laws and institutions must go hand in hand with the progress of the human mind. As that becomes more developed ... institutions must advance also to keep pace with the times." Ebbin said he takes comfort in those words. "If you were a slave when you read that quote, it speaks to you," he said. "If you're a woman denied the right to vote, it speaks to you. And I think gays and lesbians can see that it speaks to them."

3/07/2005 03:47:00 PM :: ::
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home

Jill :: permalink