<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Jill's Place
7 days worth of rants & raves

Well, that weekend had its ups and downs

Monday, June 13, 2005
On Saturday morning, we headed to the Lexington Explorium (formerly the Children's Museum) for my nephew's 4th birthday party. We had fun, cupcakes and kids running around. While Dalton was opening presents, my dad was taking pictures, and Mark was shooting video, and we were all enjoying watching him open his presents. My dad suddenly handed me the camera, and said he'd be right back. I was busy taking pictures, and then Mark handed me the video camera, and said he'd be right back. So I was busy and all. Suddenly, it seemed, Mark was back. Turns out he had left because he had a feeling he should check on my dad, but everything seemed ok, so he came back. A few seconds later, he grabbed my arm and said I needed to go check on my dad. Pops was walking very unsteadily, and then just leaned over the banister outside of the party room. My mom, my bro, and I were all trying to get out the door, and got to him pretty quickly. He was sweating BUCKETS, and was literally grey and shaking. He said he didn't have any chest pain, but was nauseous and had a lot of abdominal pain. Of course, we all thought he was having a heart attack anyway. He's 72, and he's not a small man; he's on meds for his blood pressure, etc. I called 911. The poor kids were all lined up at the glass windows of the party room, watching and asking what was wrong with Pops, and there were some tears. We were all in a panic, because we didn't know what was going on. The man sure knows how to make a party memorable! The EMTs arrived very quickly, tested his blood sugar, did a portable EKG, etc. We all headed over to St. Joe, and Mom, Dad, Scott, and I spent the rest of the day in the ER there. We never did figure out what it was. It could have been the previously unknown ventral hernia that the ER doc found, or it could have been food poisoning from the previous night (but probably that would have come on sooner), or it could have been abdomiminal distress from unknown causes. The sweating, nausea, and shaking were apparently a common reaction to severe pain. The doc said that that cluster of symptoms is frequent in the ER, with a variety of underlying causes for the pain. But another EKG and bloodwork showed no problems with his heart, gall bladder, kidneys, liver, appendix, etc. Basically, they ruled out most everything. They gave him phenergan for the nausea and morphine for the pain. Of course, this being my family, we immediately started teasing Pops about him being a big faker and just wanting to be the center of attention. He was, I should note, feeling much better by this time. You'd have to know our family . . . But in truth, it was scary as all hell. Thank goodness for my husband and sister-in-law, who corralled and reassured the kids, and took them through the museum, making sure they had fun. We all met up later at my brother and sis-in-law's house. What would I ever do without my dad??? Or my mom either! They are both wonderful people, great parents, and amazing grandparents. I can't even begin to think about it. We were supposed to be heading up to Cinci after the party, to spend the night with Carol Ann, and go to the zoo on Sunday. We ended up driving up to Cinci, late, once Pops was ok. I debated with myself about sending Mark and the kid, and me staying home, just in case. But I thought that might scare the kid too much. Pops was much better, and I was only going an hour and a half away. I would have been able to get back if needed, and a helluva lot faster than an hour and a half. Plus we knew from the second EKG at the hospital that it definitely wasn't his heart, so I felt much better. This is a new pressure, I guess. I have a small child, soon to be two, but my parents are aging and will need more care in the future. That ought to be fun. But we'll handle it. Sunday, we woke up to rain and the forecast of rain all day. The kid was mightily disappointed, because she'd been wanting to go back to the zoo for a while. It looked like it was clearing off, so we decided to chance it. Good idea, because we got rained on a few times, and then it was partly cloudy for most of the day. The zoo was a blast, of course, and it was great to see CA. Of course, I called Mom and Dad 3 times to check in. When he started griping about being on clear liquids for 24 hours and being hungry, I felt even better. He's turning into a cranky old man these days (ha ha ha), so he was back to his normal self. We got back late on Sunday evening, hoping that L would fall asleep in the car, but she never did. Finally got her in the bed, and noticed that Jet, one of our cats, was meowing piteously. There's something wrong with her. She seems to have lost weight, and she just keeps acting pitiful, wanting food and water. So now, I'm off to call the vet to try to get her in. Kidneys? Diabetes? I don't know. Keep your fingers crossed that my dad stays ok, and that Jet is ok too. Like I said, this weekend had its ups and downs . . . Oh, and here's a funny to perk up this somewhat maudlin post. We stopped at a restaurant to eat last night on our way back, and the waitress was taking our order. I ordered for the kid and for me, and then Mark gave his order. The server said, "Thank you, sir!" The kid pipes up with this gem: "Ummmmmm, his name is Daddy. But . . . you can call him Mark!" You just never know what will come out of her mouth!

6/13/2005 07:44:00 AM :: ::
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home

Jill :: permalink